From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2019 17:17:04 +0000
Some time back I asked about a passage where Twain described how he would really like to dress. This is not it, but it conveys the same basic idea (from National Geographic Adventure Classics edition of "Following the Equator" page. 216):
It is all color, bewitching color, enchanting color --everywhere--all around--all the way around the curing great opaline bay clear to Government House, where the turbaned big native chuprassies stand grouped in state at the door in their robes of fiery red, and do most properly and stunningly finish up the splendid show and make it theatrically complete. I wish I were a chuprassy.
- B. Clay Shannon