From:
Matt Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:03:55 -0400
I don’t have the references in front of me, but the Clemenses used the Langdon family’s private cars regularly in the 1900s (and probably before as well). I believe there is a letter in which Twain describes one in some detail as part of planning to transport Livy back to Elmira while she was convalescing.

 - MS