From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:37:51 -0800
I've become dissatisfied with the primary index to the Twain's Geography
site.  It was initially conceived as a series of geography lessons based
on his travel books.  Unfortunately for this approach his traveling is
poorly reflected in his books.  No criticism of his books is meant,
merely that he is not chronological and frequently given to hyperbole
and downright lies.

I've decided on 22 epochs that seem to define Twain's wanderlust and
each of these epochs have a portion of the time line.  I would
appreciate any criticism, suggestions and contributions.

To restate my underlying motive for this site, I hope to use Twain as a
guide through time and space to illustrate the historical geography of
the world he lived in.  As Lewis Lapham wrote

      /*The seventy-five years of Twain's life (1835-1910) ran in
      parallel with America's transformation from an agrarian democracy
      into an industrial oligarchy.
      */

This phenomena is not limited to America but was/is global. In his time
this was particularly true of the British Empire - where most of his
global travel took place.

https://twainsgeography.com/epochs

Don't think of this as in any way a complete feature.  It contains links
only to that material I have already included in the site.