Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2016 04:03:26 +0000
I saw this meme on Twitter: an image of old Twain with this quote: "When
the rich rob the poor it's called business. When the poor fight back it's
called violence--Mark Twain."

I retweeted it, but then followed it by saying "Though I'll add there's no
proof he said it." My reasoning for this was that I did not see it on
twainquotes.com, as a verifiable resource.

The originator of the meme said it was verified, and the source was the
very same twainquotes.com.

My eyes and search engine fail me. It's not under rich, poor, business, or
violence. So here are my questions:

1) Did Twain say it?
2) Is it on twainquotes?
3) Am I a poor digital scholar, or does this guy's ends justify his memes?

We live in an age of opinion and not fact, and there is plenty of Twain to
quote on anti-imperialism, but I dispute the assertion of validity to
support any faction's cause if unverified. It's lazy.

Just curious.