From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:24:24 +0000
I would suggest that you dig deeper into the question of travel on the
Sabbath. There are many printed sources about the Quaker City excursion,
all well-known, but besides those, nine of the pilgrims sent letters to
hometown newspapers or other papers reporting on the excursion. At least
seven diaries/journals/notebooks survive that were kept by pilgrims
(including Twain's) that record the daily activities and thoughts of
various pilgrims. Some of them have been published. I own the originals
of two of those diaries and have read three of the others. Although
there was a wide divergence of opinion about travel on the Sabbath, I
can assure you that some of the pilgrims objected strongly to such
travel. They even held some votes. One devout Presbyterian,  Robert
Bell, repeatedly groused about those who did not strictly observe the
Sabbath. He worried that God might punish them at any time, and his
anxiety reached a fever pitch every time the Quaker City got tossed
around in rough seas or ran into bad weather. He describes SLC as
"openly intemperate & profane."

I can only hope my friends think the same of me.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive