From:
Jason G Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:14:59 -0700

My gratitude goes out to Mr. H. Wonham and the Mark Twain Forum for the
recent review of my book: Mark Twain and William James: Crafting a Free
Self.  Mr. Wonham's insights into the book's strengths and failings are
useful and illuminating.  He is especially on target when he questions the
case I suggest for direct influence between Twain and James.  More work
needs done on the importance of the friendship these two men shared; for
my part, as Mr. Wonham points out, I may have overread its importance in
spots. But this question of direct influence is a non-crucial matter; more
important for my book is the argument made from parallel ideas--which is
one well-reinforced from Twain's reading and marginalia in his copies of
James's work.  I hope readers find my attempt to push parallels
between James and Twain a fair and balanced one; without growing
overinsistent, I tried to push these parallels to a legitimate point. The
relation between Twain and James, and American pragmatism as Mr.
Wonham points out,is a complicated one.  Others will surely unravel more
complex threads in this relationship;much more is to be done.  May we
continue to explore and celebrate the imaginative genius of Mark Twain.

                        --Jason G. Horn