From:
Kristina Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:04:50 -0700
Hello,

  I am a librarian in the San Diego, California area with a patron who would
like a confirmation on a supposed Mark Twain anecdote entitled: "I am My Own
Grandfather".  There is a humorous song by Dwight B. Latham and Moe Jaffe
called "I am My Own Grandpa" (c.1947) that was supposedly based on the
reading of the Twain anecdote in a book.

  I have searched the Twain-L archives.  Also, I have searched in roughly 24
books here at the research library (all listed on the bibliography in the
Twain-L "Survival Guide").  The only one I do not have access to that looked
like it might be useful is:
  Rasmussen, R. Kent (ed.). _The Quotable Mark Twain: His Essential
  Aphorisms, Witticisms and Concise Opinions_. Chicago: Contemporary
  Books, 1998.

  I can't find reference to this particular anecdote.  "His Grandfather's
Old Ram" and "What Paul Bourget Thinks of Us" were the only two stories I
could find with a grandfather connection.   Would there be any information
to give my patron to prove or disprove the existence of this anecdote in a
Twain source?
  I thank you in advance for information and attention to this query.

  Kristina Garcia

Kristina Garcia, Resource Librarian
Serra Research Center