From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 11:12:19 -0500
I think you have it exactly right on mercury. I spilled about a pint of
quicksilver on my hands when I was about ten years old and just wiped it off
on my pants (what little actually broke into really tiny balls and got under
my fingernails) and went on playing, rolling around in the dirt, and picking
my nose, habits I've tried to break since that time.

Regarding lead, the dust accumulates in the bottom of type trays and if you
set enough type you can turn your fingers and hands black with that dust. It
washes off with soap and water but clumps in a way that regular dirt and
grime does not. Type-setting shops are notoriously dirty and dusty. Like
Twain I've had a varied career. I set lead type by hand for ten years when I
operated a private handpress. I had 24 type trays full of new and antique
typefaces. I'm sure I had substantial exposure to lead dust. I was also a
fire-fighter in the 1980s for eight years, and took in some smoke from time
to time, and no doubt inhaled some other bad chemicals on accident scenes.
So, when I got adult onset asthma in the 1990s and tests showed damage to my
lungs, I suspected lead or smoke damage, and read everything I could on the
subjects. Doctors were stumped, and from my reading it seems that for lead
or smoke to cause damage you've pretty much got to inhale it or eat it, so I
assumed smoke was the culprit. However, several years later I was diagnosed
with a form of reflux disease that is atypical (no heartburn or outward
symptoms) and began taking Nexium. A week later my asthma was gone and has
never returned in ten years. My lungs are now like new; the rest of me, not
so much. My doctors think the damage to my lungs and esophagus were caused
by acidic gas inhaled while sleeping due to the reflux, a common cause of
adult onset asthma. I can't blame smoke, lead, or mercury. So I will take
Nexium for the rest of my life while my solitary esophagus sleeps on bended
wing in an empty sky. And just to be safe, no more type-setting or
fire-fighting.

The signs and symptoms of mercury and lead poisoning are more numerous than
anything Twain (or I) ever experienced, and Twain's symptoms would seem
easily attributed to other more obvious causes, like smoking and drinking
(and the state of 19th century medicine and hygiene when it came to
infections like staph).

Healthwise, I think the wives and/or daughters of Twain and Howells are much
more interesting subjects, with striking indications of eating disorders and
manic depression, ailments that were not uncommon with wives and daughters
in wealthy or socially prominent families in the 19th century.
.
Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books