From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 21:17:31 -0500
The machine worked just fine, but only for a few hours at a time. See my
review of Richard Hopkins' book on it for some good leads and references.
Hopkins is an expert in 19th and early 20th century printing technologies
and has the best understanding of the Paige compositor from an engineering
standpoint. He is fully capable of getting the one surviving example back in
working order, and has a basement full of working antique printing
machinery.

The Mergenthaler (linotype) approached type-setting in a manner that was
counter-intuitive and did not attempt to precisely replicate the process
previously performed by human hands, but it worked and was reliable for
extended periods of time. The Paige compositor tried to replicate each step
previously performed by humans, which appealed to Twain's intuitive sense
and also aligned with his personal experiences as a type-setter, but it was
a failure as a reliable technical or mechanical device. Using a modern
analogy, perhaps think of it this way: Would you rather sit in the driver's
seat of a self-driving car with automatic sensors at the front back and
sides that automatically steers, accelerates and brakes--or, would you
prefer to sit in the passenger seat while a robot shaped like a human sits
in the driver's seat operating the controls with mechanical arms and legs
with all of its sensors in its robotic head that constantly swivels around
"reading" the road, the rear-view mirror, the speedometer, etc.? Twain chose
the latter, and it wrecked.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books