From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:02:27 -0500
My experience with Villa Petraia was mildly amusing. When we first got
there, I squeezed through a gate that was ajar next door and got a great
view of the property and grounds, at first thinking it might be Villa di
Quarto but quickly realizing it wasn't. I spotted a very old woman weeding
in the garden and asked her in my not quite conversational Italian if she
knew anything about Villa di Quarto ("Mi scusi.. Io parlo poco Italiene. Io
domondo, per favore. Dove si trova Villa di Quarto? Quale casa... questo...
quello... etc, etc?" She understood me,  and was "motto gentila" but she'd
never heard of it, and I thanked her. I'm sure I'm spelling my Italian as
badly as I speak it. When squeezing back through the partly open gate I got
snagged and had a brief but horrifying vision of being found hanging there
by a passing cop, and arrested and hauled off to jail babbling something
about "ma, dove posso trovare Marco Twain?"

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive