From:
Jim Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:43:08 EST
Hello all, I am a new member to this list and I apologize in advance for my
ignorance. I am in the process of "rediscovering" Twain and I'm reading The
Innocents Abroad for the first time (Twain scholars-I'd be interested in
your
memories of reading this great book for the first time).  I have just
finished
reading the hilarious chapter in which Twain "discovers" a bill for an event
at
the Roman Coliseum and a review in a newspaper of that event. After wiping
the
tears of laughter from my eyes, I was curious about the lieutenant referred
in this portion of the review:

His august Majesty, the Emperor Aurelius, occupied the imperial box, and was
the cynosure of all eyes. Many illustrious nobles and generals of the Empire
graced the occasion with their presence, and not the least among them was
the
young patrician lieutenant whose laurels, won in the ranks of the
"Thundering
Legion," are still so green upon his brow. The cheer which greeted his
entrance
was heard beyond the Tiber!

I have searched for the identity of this lieutenant but to no avail.

I've learned about the legend of the "Thundering Legion", but came up empty
concerning the young officer. I've even gone so far as to refer to websites
for
"The Gladiator." Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.
Jim Riordan