Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:02:58 -0500
Just to add to what Ann says quite eloquently . . . .

As one who has not previously commented on the expurgated Huck Finn
controversy, I think one thing some people overlook is this:  It is
arguably wrong to modify any great work of art, BUT that does not mean
that every great work of art must or should be taught in public high
schools.

I believe that it is the prevalence of Huck Finn on mandatory reading
list for high school kids that prompted the effort to soften the
"N-word" blow in an edited version aimed specifically at that audience.I
may be wrong, but I suspect many if not most of the scholars on this
list are affiliated with colleges and universities rather than with high
schools, so perhaps the issue of appropriateness for relatively immature
15-16 year olds in public high schools is not given sufficient
consideration.

--Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD