From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:28:14 -0800
I've been off line, traveling and sharing my dad's 87th birthday.  It  was quite
a shock to open my email--and once more I am deeply grateful  for the
camaraderie and fellowship on the Forum.  My condolences to Tom and to everyone
who was touched by Lou's presence in their lives.

Like Gretchen, I wish we could all be at  Quarry Farm together to hug, cry, and
celebrate the life and mind of Lou  Budd.  Like so many, my life was enriched
and my thoughts  sharpened by his presence, his scholarship, his wit, his
incisive  questions, and his gift for being truly interested in the thoughts of
others.  I will miss him deeply and cherish his memory.  I've been reading and
re-reading his emails; luckily, I never seem to clean out my mailbox.  Like
Gregg, I will be raising a glass to Lou tonight,  and many nights to come.

Something Lou said to me once is posted beside my computer whenever  I write.  I
had just met him, introduced by the special collections librarian at Duke, and I
was terribly shy at first, awed by sitting on a bench talking with *the* Louis
J. Budd.  He waved off my nerves and told me to call him "Lou."  We talked for a
long while, and I was surprised, humbled, and delighted to find that he'd read
my first article, which had just been published.  He told me that as he read it,
he kept expecting the writer to cave in to an  overly optimistic or liberal
interpretation of Twain's text, but that I  "bit the bullet all the way
through."  The last thing he said to me that  day was "Keep biting the bullet."
I scribbled the words on a post-it  note as I was leaving the library . . . and
they are with me whenever I  write.

Here's to Lou.  May we always keep biting the bullet.

Sharon