From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1993 12:21:58 PST
     The recent publication of _Overland with Mark Twain_,
which contains dozens of photos of MT from the start of his
1895-96 reading tour, makes me wonder if there are many photos
of Twain and/or George W. Cable during their lecture tour of
1884-85.

     One that comes immediately to mind is the promotional
photo that seems to appear in every MT biography, e.g., in
Kaplan's _Mr. Clemens and MT_, and more recently in the
biographies by Guy Cardwell and John Lauber.  However, the
only other photo I've found (though I confess I haven't looked
thoroughly) is with some of Twain's relatives in Quincy,
Illinois, in January 1885 (Milton Meltzer, _MT Himself_, p.
188).

     I realize that the camera used by Pond during the 1895-96
tour had only been introduced c. 1888, but is it really
possible that Twain and Cable toured for four months, yet so
few photos were taken of them?

Regards,

Taylor Roberts
Univ. of British Columbia