From:
Mary Lippold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:46:45 -0600
Please excuse if this is an improper post.  I am a law librarian and one
of our faculty members has asked me to find the source of the quote
printed below. He believes it has been attributed to Mark Twain. I have
checked the various quote books we have available as well as the "quotes"
database on Dialog. _The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain_ was recommended,
but the local libraries that own this book do not currently have it on
the shelf. (End of the semester papers, I suppose.)  Any help with this
would be greatly appreciated.

"The work of many scholars has already thrown much darkness on the
subject and it is likely that if they keep working we shall soon know
nothing at all."

Thanks so much,
Mary Lippold
South Texas College of Law Library