From:
TB0WDB1@NIU
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1992 10:36:00 CDT
I have been out of country for the past couple of weeks, so I am
not entirely current on the Dan Quayle, Potatoe, Twain controversy.
My understanding is that no one was able to trace the reference to
Twain and problems with the inconsistencies of English spelling.
Without wishing to defend Quayle, I do think I have a probable source
for the reference.  Was this discussed on the Twain forum, and if so,
could someone give me a quick summary of what was said?  Has anyone
else claimed to have run down the reference?  If so, what was it?  I
think there is a funny and timely piece in this, so I would appreciat
e any information as quickly as possible.  Thanks in advance for your
help.

David Barrow.