From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:14:54 -0600
>There are no direct descendants of Samuel Clemens.  Most of us are
>descendants of his brother.
>Ellen Clemens Smart

I guess it all boils down to the term used in the original post, "direct
descendant":  is that the exact wording of O'Neill's claim?

If so, there appear to be 2 possibilities:

1.  Lawrence Howe's idea:  there may be "some evidence of an illegitimate
branch of SLC's family tree that leads to O'Neill; those dalliances with
saloon girls might have generated an heir."  If this is to be taken
seriously, I am a bit surprised that no one has (so far) taken much issue
with it.  Does anyone know of any evidence, hearsay or even the glimmer of
such, that Twain did have an illegitimate child at some point?

2.  O'Neill is quite mistaken.

If that is NOT the the exact wording, there are also only 2 possibilities:

1.  Andy Hoffman's suggestion, which was my original reaction as well --
O'Neill has some connection as a distant relative, not direct descendent.
This is very plausible -- and I would also like to know the exact
connection.

2.  O'Neill is quite mistaken.

--Hal Bush