From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 16:41:23 +0000
There are a number of incomplete editions of the autobiography or of
selections from it.  They are:

* Albert Bigelow Paine, ed. _Mark Twain's Autobiography_ (1924)
* Bernard DeVoto, ed. _Mark Twain in Eruption_ (1940)
* Charles Neider, ed. _The Autobiography of Mark Twain_ (1959)
* Michael J. Kiskis, ed. _Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The
Chapters from the North American Review_ (1990)
* _Chapters from My Autobiography_ Oxford Mark Twain, with an
afterward by Michael J. Kiskis (1996) -- these are also the North
American Review chapters.

A few other topical dictations have appeared in other anthologies,
including _Selected Writings of an American Skeptic_ and _The Hudson
Review_ 16:3 (Autumn 1963): 329-352, where Neider published some of
it with the title "Reflections on Religion."  Others can probably be
located using Thomas A. Tenney's _Mark Twain: A Reference Guide_.

The autobiographical dictations have not been published as a whole.
The entire manuscript is held at the Mark Twain Papers, The Bancroft
Library, and is described at its home page at:

http://library.berkeley.edu/BANC/MTP/

For more on the autobiography, see the introduction to _MT's Own
Autobiography_ or the afterward in _Chapters from My Autobiography_.

Jim Zwick