From:
doug bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:43:02 -0800
Terrell Dempsey is right! I visited Hannibal as a
fifty year old kid a couple of years ago, on the 4th
of July, and had an unforgetable time. Fireworks over
the river, Tom Sawyer's cave, a river boat ride, and
all the chintz and touristic plastic you can
imagine--but also some wonderful book stores and
several remarkable statues and sculptures of Sam and
Tom and Huck--it is the all-American town for July 4
and perhaps best of all, the natives weren't just
friendly, they were Southernly hospitable--not a bum
in the whole lot that I encountered--go with a smile
and you will leave with a bigger one and count
yourself lucky. ---Unashamably, a Twainiac, Doug
Bridges