From:
Heather Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:32:25 -0400
Hi Steve - obviously my letters did not save the library! I'll keep
trying.
I am so relieved that I have experienced the joy of librarianship in the
United States. Libraries and librarians have been under fire for some
time in Britain - yet they have (had?) some fabulous libraries that do
so much for local communities. I have worked in both London and
Birmingham City libraries, so I know how important they are. In those
days,  the Labour councils were always on our side - what is happening
to the England I knew? I have just returned from London - perhaps I
should go back again to join the occupation. "Occupation"is back in
vogue - deja-vu from the 70s.
Kensal Rise Library is special to us because of the Mark Twain
connection - but it is very special to the community it serves for many
other reasons.
Thanks for keeping us informed, Steve.
Heather.