From:
tdempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:25:26 -0500
Dear Forum members,  I was out shaking the bushes today and purchased
the most interesting letter written by a constitutent (A. K. Frost) to
Congressman T. L. Anderson in March of 1858.  It goes, "Sir if you can
possibly get me a book called Liut Gibbons report of the river Amazon I
would be much pleased to have one.  I see that Congress has appropriated
copies to each Representative to be distributed to their constituents
and if you can send me one I will be thankful for said favor."
    I have picked up many slave-related items over the past few years
from local antique shops, but this is the first item I have found that
substantiates the notion of Sam wanting to go enter the coca trade (note
this is the following winter.)
    I found this too late to include it in my book which is at the
printers.  University of Missouri Press says Searching for Jim: Slavery
in Sam Clemens's World will be in print the last week of October if the
river stays in her banks.  In a rush -- Vicki's calling.

Terrell