From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:07:21 -0700
In the latest issue of CHRISTIAN CENTURY, I have a more mainstream type
review of Sue's excellent book.  The religious scholars are very deeply
immersed in  issues of imperialism, Christendom, and colnial abuses these
days; in fact I'd say one of the ost exciting developments among Christian
intellectuals is this grwoing interest in what I'd call the American
footprint, and global justice, etc.

 I think Sue'sbook is very good, andsets the standard now for MT scholars
dealnig with these issues.  And  I believe this is a real growth area, with
good potential for further investigation for MT folks, but more broadly in
American studies and in trade publications -- there have been some very good
trade histories out in the past few years on TR, the emergence of American
empire, etc.  It's a wonder how little Americans typically know about such
things prior to WWI (not that the average knows much about WWI).

I'd suggest some MT scholars take him even more seriously as a proto-post
colonial theorist, for example:  some o MT's essays certainly lead directly
to the insights of later thinkers -- I'm thinking here of someone like
Frantz Fanon or Edward Said, but I assume others on here can make
connections on their own.  Just a thought ....

-hb

--
Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Professor of English