From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:45:46 -0600
That one is one of the best. For more background on the subject see
McDermott BEFORE MARK TWAIN (Mississippi lit and culture before Twain), the
Walter Blair book on Mike Fink, and Sandlin WICKED RIVER.

For an 1887 account of a two-man boat trip down the Mississippi see Glazier
DOWN THE GREAT RIVER. For more on road trips on rivers John Graves GOOD-BYE
TO A RIVER is a masterpiece, but it is 20th century, of course, and has
nothing to do with the Mississippi.

If you want insights that are often overlooked or ignored, see Buchanan
BLACK LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI. That is an interesting book to read while
thinking about Huck and Jim.

I built up a long shelf of 19th-20th century books on Mississippi River
history and culture in doing further research on the nom de plume. I found
two things striking (to me, anyway)-- black culture is largely ignored and
very few steamboat captains/pilots/crew wrote out their stories in book form
(mostly newspaper interviews). I even found a good lexicon and interviewed a
couple of retired Mississippi boatman myself, including a steamboat pilot.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive