From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:46:28 EDT
Yes, it's a huge undertaking. Many have pointed me to  Rasmussen's
chronology
in the front of "Mark Twain A-Z," but this isn't exactly  what I'm doing.

An annotated chronology attempts to point out  significance or background or
implications of events, or, at least to add some  interest to what might
otherwise be a dry, dusty, and pretty useless tome. As a  published novelist
and
short story writer, I believe I understand at least some  of the drama in
many
events in MT's life.

Here's my question: I'd like to include pictures of  Sam at various ages,
plus a few historical photos as well.  I see many of  these pictures online
and
in books. Are permissions required to use photographs  of Sam Clemens? I
know
that many of his works are in the public domain (although  probably not all,
since some were published decades after his death). But, what  about his
image?
Modern day images cannot be used without permission, but since  Sam died in
1910, would it be okay to do so? Someone with publishing credits  and/or
knowledge might like to answer this.

And as for the work in progress, "Mark Twain,  Day-By-Day," I'm making slow
but sure progress. For those of you who missed my  earlier note, I'm
attempting
to document each day of Sam's life that is  available through historical
sources--what he was doing, his writings, speeches,  travels and the events
of his
life. I try to limit a particular day to no more  than a paragraph or a
page;
I'm using snippets of his humor and writing wherever  possible, and explain
who the people in his life were. Yes, I've run into  several discrepancies
among the sources, and try to mention when they don't  agree (for example,
the
different date that Paine gave to Sam's pilot's license  over later
sources.) Oh,
yes, one more thing I'm adding--the day of the week for  each day used. This
requires having a calendar site open and the year chosen,  then transferring
the day of week to my manuscript. I will also include major  historical
events
throughout Sam's life, as in the start and end of the Civil  War, hardly
civil.

I'm at 150 pages of MS. and about 75k words. After  some cursory filling in
of major events, I began at birth, Sam's that is, not my  own, and slowly
worked by way to 1868. I've learned more about Sam this way than  in reading
all
the books I have. I have UofCal's letter volumes, Fatout's books,  Early
Tales &
Sketches volumes, and many more. So far I've used perhaps 25  sources. I'm
also using historical interpretations like Hoffman's, Powers',  Sanborn's,
etc.
I pretty much read several sources and interpretations on a  given year or
month, and beat out all the references I'm able. I wasn't familiar  with
Dixon
Wecter's work until I began this project, but found him quite helpful  on
the
earlier periods of Sam's life.

I have an old, dusty, weathered degree in history, and  a somewhat newer one
in education/writing which has propped me up in times of  discouragement at
the sheer gargantuan nature of the undertaking.

I hope to find a publisher for the finished work (can  I say when it should
be finished? Perhaps by next summer,) but if not, I'm fixed  enough to
self-publish and start with 500 copies. I've done one book of short  stories
that way
and am familiar with the process and steps involved, though I'd  rather have
publisher if possible. Getting an agent without being a  world-class expert
on something is pretty tough these days.

Any help or suggestions anyone might make would be  appreciated.

David H  Fears