From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 23:20:58 -0400

For  those of us who receive HTML as Text with lots of spurious static,
here is  Shelly's fine tribute in plain text format.
J.  R. LeMaster is best known by Mark Twain scholars for having co-edited
The Mark  Twain Encyclopedia with Jim Wilson. But I think it’s important to
recall  another, less-known contribution he made to Twain scholarship: he is
responsible  for having given readers in the English-speaking world access
to an  important commentary on Mark Twain published in China.
LeMaster had a long  and deep connection to China that included spending
two years in Beijing and  publishing a moving bilingual book of his own poetry
about China (Journeys  Around China, Chinese translations by Sui Gang and
Hua Zhi, published in  China in 2003). But I am particularly
indebted to him for having restored to  us a major a speech delivered in
Beijing by a leading Chinese writer in  1960 to commemorate the 50th
anniversary of Mark Twain’s death.
For decades,  scholars had   assumed this speech had been lost, but LeMaster
’s  determined searching over many years finally bore fruit. He and a
Chinese  scholar named Zhao Huazhi, managed to locate a copy. They arranged for
it to be  translated into English by Zhao Yuming and Sui Gang.  Edited by
J.R.  Le Master, who worked with them on the translation, it was published in
US-China  Review in 1995. [US-China Review 19 (Summer 1995), pp. 11-15 as “
Mark Twain:  Exposer of the Dollar Empire.
The speech was particularly noteworthy not only  because Lao She was one
the leading Chinese authors of the 20th century, but  also because the aspects
of Twain’s social criticism that he highlighted were  not particularly
salient at mid-century in the US. Arguing that Twain’s  criticism of the ‘
Dollar Empire’  “has retained profound and immediate  significance throughout
the past half century,” Lao She asserted that “Mark  Twain’s reprimand of the
imperialist aggressive powers and sympathy for the  anti-colonialist Asian
and African people [are] especially  significant.   This is the part of his
literary heritage we should  value most.” But until the publication of Jim
Zwick’s book Mark Twain’s Weapons  of Satire: Anti-Imperialist
Writings on the Philippine-American War in 1992,  this was probably the
part of Twain’s literary heritage that his countrymen  valued least.
(Virtually the  only American critics paying attention to this aspect of Twain at
the time Lao  She made these remarks were Philip Foner and Maxwell Geismar.)
Although Lao She’s speech served China’s ruling interests at the time and
contained some of the expected Cold War jargon, it also contained some
insightful readings of pieces by Twain with which American readers were then
largely unfamiliar. With a few exceptions Twain’s trenchant critiques of the
country he loved tended to be as ignored in the United States at midcentury
as  they were celebrated in =
China.
Indeed, among the works Lao She  mentioned in the 1960 speech was Twain’s “
Treaty with China,” a piece so obscure  that it was not reprinted from its
original 1868 publication until Martin Zehr  brought it to light in 2010 in
the Journal of Transnational American  Studies
(http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5t02n32
In addition to being the 50th anniversary of Mark Twain’s  death, 1960 was
the sixtieth anniversary of the anti-imperialist,  anti-missionary Boxer
Uprising in China. (Lao She had written a four-act play  about this event
titled Shen Ruan the same year that he gave this speech. ) Most  Americans by
1960 had long forgotten the sympathy that Mark Twain had shown to  the Boxers,
but Lao She and his countrymen had not. Lao She quotes with approval  Twain’
s comment, “The Boxer is a patriot=85I wish him success. I am a Boxer
myself.”

Lao She was president  of the National Association of Writers when he gave
this speech. An influential  novelist and dramatist, he was named “The People
’s Artist” and played a  prominent role in the Chinese literary
establishment before he was purged from  the Communist Party and became a victim of
the Cultural Revolution (It is  undisputed that Lao She delivered this speech.
However, as I learned in 2009  from Gongzhao Li, the prominent Chinese poet
and scholar, Yuan Kejia evidently  claimed in a Chinese journal in 1985
that he was paid to write this speech for  Lao She to deliver, and that he was
its actual author despite the fact that the  text continues to be widely
credited to Lao She in China, and appears in his  Collected Works. )
I met J. R.  LeMaster in 2006 when I gave a keynote talk at  an American
Studies Association of Texas  at Baylor. He was kind enough to give me a copy
of the piece that he had done so  much to recover and get translated and
published. He and I were both    pleased that I was able to include the Lao
She/Yuan Kejia speech in  The Mark Twain Anthology: Great Writers on His Life
and Work (Library of  America, 2010).
I learned only last  December, through correspondence with LeMaster, of the
depth of his association  with Lao She’s family. LeMaster’s book of
poetry, Journeys Around China,  includes a photograph of LeMaster with Lao She’s
son, Xu Yi, taken when LeMaster  visited him in his home.  Xu Yi was Director
of the Beijing Library of  Contemporary Literature and spent most of his
life writing about his father.  LeMaster wrote me that he got to know him
quite well.  LeMaster also  directed the senior thesis of Lao She’s
granddaughter, although he notes that he  left China before she completed it.   During
his stay in China,  LeMaster conducted interviews with half a dozen Chinese
writers, including “a  writer of opera who was beaten alongside Lao She.”
LeMaster wrote me that  “Lao She drowned in Lake Kunming, either drowned
himself or was murdered and  thrown there. Xu Yi says he could stand no more
humiliation and took his own  life.”  LeMaster noted that the interviews he
conducted in China are  in the oral history archives at Baylor.
According to LeMaster, three sets of government censors refused to let
three different publishing houses publish his book of poems.  The version  of
Journeys around China that finally appeared in China in 2003 omits about half
 of the original manuscript, including all the poems he wrote about the
Tiananmen Square Massacre. Although the more political poems were cut by the
censors, many of the poems that remain are quietly beautiful and  evocative.
I feel compelled, on the  occasion of his passing, to express my
appreciation for LeMaster’s determination  to share a major Chinese commentary on
Twain with the English-speaking  world.  I am personally grateful to him for
having made me aware of it when  he did. For encountering this text help make
me realize that I had been largely  oblivious, as a scholar, to the global
body of commentaries on Mark  Twain in languages other than English.
That realization set in motion an odyssey that led me to seek out  writing
on Twain in languages other than English for The Mark Twain  Anthology.  In
addition to leading to my discovery that the first book  devoted to Mark
Twain published anywhere was published in French in Paris in  1884, this
journey led me to uncover interesting commentaries on   Twain  originally
published in Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian,  Japanese, Russian, Spanish,
and Yiddish have all engaged Twain. In many cases,  they had never been
translated into English before. Previously untranslated  texts  included essays
by Nobel Laureates from Denmark and Japan, by two of  Cuba’s most prominent
public intellectuals, by Argentina’s most celebrated  author, by another
famous Chinese writer, by a major Russian poet, and by  respected writers from
Germany, Italy, Spain, and the Soviet Union. I had  the pleasure of sending
a copy of the book to J. R. LeMaster not long after it  came out.
[For more on this topic, see my Mark Twain Anthology, and also my  essay, “
American Literature in Transnational Perspective: The Case of Mark  Twain.”
Blackwell Companion to American Literary Studies, ed. Caroline F.  Levander
and Robert S. Levine (2011).  Also relevant are Selina Lai’s  forthcoming
book, Mark Twain in China to be published next year by Stanford  University
Press, and a project on “The French Face of Twain” that Paula  Harrington and
Ronald Jenn are undertaking.]
The changes in my mental map  that J. R. LeMaster helped set in motion have
been profound. I am grateful for  all he taught me.

Shelley Fisher Fishkin
Joseph S. Atha Professor of  Humanities, Professor of English, and Director
of American Studies, Stanford  University
Mail: Department of English, Stanford University, Stanford, CA  94305-2087
https://english.stanford.edu/people/shelley-fisher-fishkin

On  Jul 3, 2014, at 4:24 PM, Kevin Bochynski <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

> The following obituary appeared today in “The Crescent-News,”  Defiance,
Ohio, and will be of interest to members of the Mark  Twain
community. Dr. LeMaster was co-editor with James D. Wilson of “The Mark
Twain Encyclopedia” published by Garland in 1993.

Jimmie 'J.R' LeMaster
WACO, Texas --  Jimmie (J.R.) Ray LeMaster, Waco, died Sunday, June 29,
2014, at his residence.
He was born in Pike County, Ohio, to Dennis Samuel and Helen Algina (Smith)
 LeMaster on March 29, 1934. He attended Camp Creek Township Elementary
School  before moving to Washington Court House, Ohio, where he attended junior
high and  high school, moving to New Boston, Ohio, in his final year. He
enlisted in the  U.S. Navy in 1951, and served four years. Upon being
discharged from the Navy,  LeMaster moved to Defiance, Ohio, where he worked in an
iron foundry and  attended classes at Defiance College.

Upon graduation, he taught in local  high schools before returning to his
alma mater to teach in 1962, having  completed a master of arts degree at
Bowling Green State University. While  working at Defiance College, he received
his PhD degree from Bowling Green in  1970. He taught at Defiance College
for 15 years before moving his family to  Waco to teach at Baylor University
in 1977. When he retired from Baylor in 2006,  he had taught for 47 years,
including two years in Beijing, People's Republic of  China.

He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Wanda; his son,  Lon;
brother, Dennis and his wife, Karin; and half brother Tom McDowell.
He is survived by his two daughters,  Lisa and DeNae, as well as his
brother, Marvin and his wife, Shirley; half  brother, Richard McDowell and his
wife, Alice; sister-in-law, Patsy McDowell;  and numerous nieces and nephews.

In  lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to The Wanda May LeMaster
Service  Award, c/o Michele Tinker, Defiance College, 701 Clinton St.,
Defiance, Ohio  43512; email address, [log in to unmask]; phone,    419-783-2303.