From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 07:00:39 -0600
In Chapter 48 of A TRAMP ABROAD, Twain writes a burlesque of art
criticism.  Touring the Palace of the Doges, he goes into ecstasy over a
huge painting by Leandro Bassano, with the mouth-filling title, "Pope
Alexander III and the Doge Ziani, the Conqueror of Emperor Frederick
Barbarosa."  (Mark insists that the real heart of the painting is a hair
trunk, and that Bassano shapes every detail to move the viewer's eye
toward that wonderful trunk.)

I would very much like to see a copy of Bassano's painting.  Can anyone
steer me to a book or a web site that shows it?  A site called the
Web Gallery of Art seems not to be functioning right now, or at least
not for Leandro Bassano.  I've fruitlessly checked many other sites, art
books, dictionaries of art and picture books on Venetian history.

Can anyone help me view that splendid hair trunk with my own eyes?

Mark Coburn