From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:36:27 -0500
I've just added a new resource to my Twain site that I think members of the
Forum will find interesting:

The Real "United States of Lyncherdom": An Interview with Terry Oggel
http://www.boondocksnet.com/twainwww/essays/oggel_lyncherdom020114.html

Terry discusses the historical context of the essay, the revisions Paine made
before publishing it in 1923, Paine's role as literary executor, how the critical
text was created, and other topics.

Also, Joseph McCullough's June 21, 2001, review of Terry Oggel's critical text
of the essay is now online in the Mark Twain Forum Reviews:

Speaking Out About Race
http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/reviews/lyncherdom.html

Jim

Jim Zwick