From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:11:11 +0000
In "Following the Equator," the following incident is related (a fox hunt is taking place, which Twain is observing from a distance):
Fox hunter: "Which way'd the fox go?"...Twain: "Which fox?"...Fox hunter: "Which fox? Why, the fox! Which way did the fox go?"Twain: I said, with great gentleness--even argumentatively:"If you could be a little more definite--a little less vague--because I am a stranger; and there are many foxes, as you will know even better than I, and unless I know which one it is that you desire to identify, and--"
Was this diversionary tactic pursued to enable the fox to escape? Knowing Twain's love for animals, I can see him taking this tack; it would be more his style to do so rather than to say something like, "I saw it, but I won't tell you, because I don't think it's right for men to ride great big horses and hunt down little foxes."
Also, Twain says he is watching the fox hunt rather than taking part in it because he was afraid of riding the large horses ("on stilts") the huntsmen were using; yet "out west" he had ridden horses, and later even rode an elephant in India, so was that supposed "equinophobia" simply his excuse for not wanting to take part in the fox hunt?

- B. Clay Shannon