From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 12:33:54 -0700
Well Carl, I think your bit of insight provides a very significant
perspective on the culture and society at that time.  I don't have a map
of the B&M railway lines in 1884 but I suspect you are correct.  I would
expect that Urban Geographers would find much to consider here on
questions of the development of suburbs and the onset of workers as
commuters.  I live in Los Angeles where there are very few trains for
commuting.  There is actually only one that goes through the San
Fernando Valley.  Many years ago, just before I acquired consciousness,
there was the Red Line which stretched all the way to Long Beach.  You
can see an amusing take on what happened to it in the Roger Rabbit
movie.

Anyway, this is just one example of why it is a good idea to study Mark
Twain.