From:
Sean Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:56:53 -0700
What I remember from my student days, if I may butt in here, is that the teachers who were passionate about their subject and liked and respected students, were always able to get their students excited about the subject matter.

I read Tom Sawyer when I was nine or ten and Huck Finn when I was eleven or twelve - I never studied them in school but I did have an elementary school teacher who was taking night classes and he was studying Huck Finn.  He was keen on the book and what he was learning and this rubbed off on his students.  I didn't really begin to understand Adventures of Huckleberry Finn until I was twenty and I have read it many many times over the years.

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were the books that made me decide to become a writer.  Twenty-some years and dozen novels into this career I still feel I owe Mark Twain a massive debt. (You can find my books in North America under the name S. Thomas Russell.  They're published by Putnam/Penguin and a couple of recent books made the London Times Bestseller list).  I don't think studying Twain's books in school could have ruined them - they are just too good.

My son read Huck Finn and then Tom Sawyer a couple of years ago - he would have been twelve.  After hearing me go on and on about Huck and Tom he borrowed copies out of my study and read them.  He liked Huck Finn far more than Tom Sawyer .  He assures me, though, that kids don't read them anymore - too bad.  I wish my love of Shakespeare would inspire him to read the plays but I think he's at that point in his life where he needs to develop interests of his own.

Excuse the ramble.  Let me just finish by saying that teachers who love their subject can change lives.  I come from a very working class family.  My father had a grade 8 education and my mother dropped out of school at 15.  They were honest, hard working people but culture did not enter our house.  A few high school teachers and friends I made at that time (and in some cases their families) introduced me to the arts.  I owe them too.

Sean Russell