Robert Hirst <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:52:52 -0800
As to the actual, announced limits of such changes, here's part of
what the introduction says:
The editor's decision for this edition of Tom Sawyer has been to
render the sixty-seven repetitions of the outcast's name as "Indian
Joe" to assist in retiring another antiquated and insulting word
(even though the very name "Indian" itself commemorates a misnomer
dating back to Columbus). But the substitution of a merely
informative racial sobriquet salvages Twain's ethnic innuendoes
regarding the motivation for Indian Joe's animosity toward the town's
residents. A total of seventeen miscellaneous usages of the I-word
have similarly been altered in both novels. For the same reasons the
eight references in Tom Sawyer to "half-breed" have been converted to
"half-blood," which is less disrespectful and has even taken on a
degree of panache since J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the
Half-Blood Prince (2005). . . .
With the exception of the changes in racial denotations (and in two
archaic references to skin color) and the insertion of the raftsmen
passage, the texts of both novels otherwise follow the wording of the
first American edition. Issues about questionable punctuation were
resolved by consulting facsimiles of Twain's manuscripts. The editor
has silently modernized certain eccentricities of nineteenth-century
punctuation and spelling, and has given American spellings preference
over British spellings. Obvious typographical errors introduced by
the printers and inconsistent spellings have been corrected. Mark
Twain occasionally added footnotes to his own books; here these are
placed within the text and indicated by { } brackets.
RHH