Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 21:09:25 -0400
From:
Dan Walker <[log in to unmask]>
    As for what Huck is aware of--"He had a dream, and it shot him"--I always see Twain's awareness as lurking behind Huck's, and Tom's for that matter. I agree that there's evidence of learning as Huck moves through the episodes: he seems to learn a bit about society from each episode. And about himself when the REAL father figure in the book, Jim, rebukes him as "trash" and he has to apologize. There's even a hint of another kind of maturity in his response to Mary Jane in the Wilkes episode.
    As for the end--(AHEM! Book promotion alert!)--in my sequel, Huckleberry Finn in Love & War, I have Huck (and Tom) wind up faced with the kind of choices the Civil War required of a lot of people. Twain himself got 62 pages into a sequel, the kind you'd expect full of continuing "adventures" and got tired of it. So I guess we're entitled.
    I still think it helps to think of Huck as the permanent boy in human nature, which Twain I guess was still optimistic about. And Tom, in a way, is still a boy himself, though far more corrupted by books.
    Dan