From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:41:47 +0000
Matt, the catalogue for the 2002 Mark Twain House exhibit, "Modesty Died When Clothes Were Born," quotes from a New York Herald story of February 5, 1907, "Mark Twain Has a Suit of White for Evening Wear." The catalogue says he had fifteen white suits. The full Herald story, and perhaps an earlier one, "Mark Twain's Views, His Discourses on Clothes and Copyright at the Capital" (New York Tribune, December 8, 1906, dealing with that famous first appearance highlighted by Shelden) might mention a maker.

Steve Courtney, Curatorial Volunteer
The Mark Twain House & Museum
351 Farmington Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut 06105
860-302-8969

Even though The Mark Twain House & Museum is temporarily closed to the public, we are still offering many online programs. Visit our website<https://marktwainhouse.org/> for virtual programming, and the most up-to-date information on all things Mark Twain House & Museum.  If you are able, consider making a donation<https://ci.ovationtix.com/35359/store/donations/>.