From:
"Earl E. Stevens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:39:39 -0700
While I find the quotation from Barbara Herrnstein Smith's Article
'Contingencies of Value,' interesting and worth considering (her work always
is worth considering), I want to ask what after all is the article stating?
That contemporary responses have a tendency to 'contemporize' ideologies
from the past? I suspect that such is often the case, but it seems to me
that to 'purify' past texts (Chaucer's anti-feminism, Shakespeare's
anti-Semiticism, S. Johnson's anti-Scotsism, Twain's supposed "racism") is
to patronize the works and the authors involved. To gloss over or
reintrepret past ideologies seems to me to diminish the impact of some of
these ideologies, and that I believe can be terribly dangerous. The facts
that the medieval world was anti-feminist and that the Elizabethans were
anti-Semitic are true and as we approach these works we should recognize
these awful truths and acknowledge that most of us have moved, it is to be
hoped, beyond these limiting ideologies. In Twain's case, his supposed
racism arises to a great extent from the frequent use of the N-word. But
would any serious reader suggest that Twain should have and ought to have
falsified the realities and the language of the day so as to appease our
contemporary values. I deplore the use of racist terms, whoever the speaker
or enabler may be, but I do not believe we must falsify or rewrite the
past--its literature or its history. To do so, is I believe to do an even
greater injustices to ourselves.
        One further comment,  most who read Huck Finn realize that the work
is truly revolutionary in its attitude to race and that the noblest and most
human character in the novel is Jim. Earl Stevens.