From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:09:52 -0800
Kent, could he be referring to the anecdote in A Tramp Abroad?  It plays
satirically on the difference between "tail" and "tale," the narrator's
obtuseness, and the stereotype of animalistic qualities to African Americans.

In Chapter XXV (page 247-254 in the Oxford MT edition), the narrator and Harris
get into an argument some folks at another table--whether they're American, from
which state, the age of the girl.  As the "dispute . . . waxed warm," the
narrator declares he'll go ask.  The girl sees that he doesn't remember her, so
she takes him along a garden path of fabricated reminiscences, one of which
refers to "Darley":

"It was necessary to say something, --so I said,--

"I always regarded Darley as a troublesome old thing."

"So he was, but then they always had a great affection for him, although he had
so many eccentricities.  You remember that then the weather was the least cold,
he would try to come into the house."

I was rather afraid to proceed.  Evidently Darley was not a man,--he must be
some other kind of animal,--possibly a dog, maybe an elephant.  However, tails
are common to all animals, so I ventured to say,--

"And what a tail he had!"

"One!  He had a thousand!"

This was bewildering. I did not quite know what to say, so I only said,--

"Yes, he was rather well fixed in the matter of tails."

"For a negro, and a crazy one at that, I should say he was."

It was getting pretty sultry for me.  I said to myself, "Is it possible she is
going to stop there, and wait for me to speak?  If she does, the conversation is
blocked.  A negro with a thousand tails is a topic which a person cannot talk
upon fluently and instructively without more or less preparation  As to diving
rashly into such a vast subject,--

But here, to my gratitude, she interrupted my thought by saying,--

"Yes, when it came to tales of his crazy woes, there was simply no end to them
if anybody would listen . . . ." (250)

And the tale goes on, until she finally admits that she is pulling his tale in
punishment for merely pretending to know here.  That's my best guess, anyway.

Sharon