Joseph Csicsila <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 11:34:21 -0500
Susan,

Twain had a dog named Rab that was killed in some kind of a street accident in late 1881. Twain used to say that the dog kept the staff at the Hartford home busy pulling him away from passing carriages. Twain sought out another dog of the same breed a short while after. This second dog named Rob started terrorizing neighbors and people passing by the house in wagons and carriages. The individual Twain got Rob from, Charles Fairchild, offered to take the dog back in the fall of 1882. Not sure of the breed(s) or how the situation with Rob turned out.

There may be more info in the letters from the mid 1880s?

Joe Csicsila

----- Original Message -----

From: "Lawrence Howe" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 3, 2014 10:29:16 AM
Subject: Re: Query

Susan--=0A=
=0A=
Are you sure it's Hartford? I've seen photos of the family in Elmira with =
a large dog, who belonged to the Cranes, if memory serves. =0A=
=0A=
No doubt, someone with more authoritative knowledge will weigh in. =0A=
=0A=
--LH=0A=
=0A=
Larry Howe=0A=
Professor of English=0A=
Chair, Department of Literature and Languages=0A=
Roosevelt University=0A=
=0A=
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in American Studies, Syddansk Universitet--Od=
ense, 2014-15=0A=