Sender:
From:
David Hoopes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 07:34:22 -0500
Whoops. Accidentally sent my "sequel" email before finishing it. Wanted to
mention that in studying Twain I was struck by the degree to which alter
egos cropped up in his life with an apparent potency that I believe is rare
if not unique. Ron Powers, in Dangerous Waters, mentions several, though in
the Burns documentary he narrows it down to Huck. What struck me as having
the most interesting possibilities for a sequel was not following Huck and
Tom to the territories but exploring what would have happened if Huck had
returned to Hannibal/St. Petersburg and spent the rest of his youth growing
up with, and as alter ego to, Sam Clemens. I must say, I have found it
extremely enjoyable trying to get into the mind and character of Huck within
the framework of the life of the real Sam Clemens and the real and fictional
Hannibal, Missouri. The next challenge is to pose Mark Twain as counter ego
to Huck.

Apologies for this digression.

David Hoopes