Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Carmela Valente <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:32:15 -0400
Dear Doctor Greg and other professors:
As a graduate of Catholic school and catholic college, I was taught to rise
when someone holding a PhD entered the room.  I always address a professor
as "Doctor" unless I am instructed not to do so.  When I find requests for
papers, I with my little B.A. in English lit shrink back in horror, feeling
this is quite above me.  I have been chastised in the past by someone for
asking a question that has been posed previously.  I'm sorry about that, but
I'm still figuring out with my screen reader how to properly peruse the
archives.  I wanted to be an English Grammarian, but no one knew how one
could achieve that.  Do I love Twain?  I think the answer to that is more
than obvious since I am a member of this list.  When I get to heaven,
(hoping that Miss Watson isn't there), when I meet Saint Peter, I'm going to
ask "Where is Mark Twain?"  I have spoken with a retired teacher who also is
on this list who feels that some profs are in an ivory tower.  Mind you, I
highly respect you, but always ask myself when posting anything if I am
being too trite or ridiculous.  I'm kind of like Huck in his dirty clothes,
feeling out of place.  Oh but I love Twain, so I hope you'll forgive a gal
with a B.A. in English lit, who didn't stay in teaching because she didn't
want to put up with the garbage from kids who have no respect for authority.
You can tell I've been reading dickens, as this is an exceptionally long
post.
Bless all of you for welcoming me back, and I do intend to stay.
Camy