From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:35:37 -0400
As I'm sure many other members of the Mark Twain Forum have done or now do,
I have donated some money (sadly, not that much!) over the years to the Mark
Twain Project at the University of California-Berkeley.  Therefore, I am on
their mailing list--and I hope it's appropriate to share the message of
their latest letter.

The Friends of the Bancroft Library has designated the Mark Twain Project as
the focal point for this year's annual campaign.  At the same time, money is
so low for the MT Project that they won't be able to pay the four senior
editors by the end of this year.  The federal grant money that has long
supported the project is now running out.  They are applying for an NEH
grant, but don't know the status of that right now.

Anyone who is interested in Mark Twain owes a debt of gratitude to the Mark
Twain Project, scholars and general readers alike.  I would urge those of us
on the Mark Twain Forum to show our financial support at a troubling time
for the project.  Many of us have been there to conduct research and know
that the offices are not exactly the Taj Mahal.  Money is tight for
everybody these days, but the most recent letter is spurring me to
contribute again.

The form lets you give the gift in honor or memory of someone, so I am going
to send in memory of Everett Emerson and Hamlin Hill.  That seems to me to
be a very appropriate way to honor the lives and work of both of those
important Twain scholars.  My wife's employer will match that donation, too,
she tells me.

Gifts should have a note specifying them for the Mark Twain Project, payable
to The Friends of the Bancroft Library.  The address:

The Friends of the Bancroft Library
The Bancroft Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720-6000

I have no financial interest, of course, but I have a decided interest in
the important (invaluable) work of the Mark Twain Project being continued.
Thanks for listening to the plea!

John Bird