From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2023 09:16:17 -0500
The Center For Mark Twain Studies is please to publish an open-access,
digital edition of this essay which originally appeared in the print
journal, *Mark Twain Studies*, produced by our friends at The Japan Society
of Mark Twain: https://marktwainstudies.com/unlearningracism/

In the essay Shelley Fisher Fiskin reveals which Twain texts she has used
in her classes over the last decade, and why!

There are some familiar figures - Huck, for instance - but several shorter,
"minor" works which Shelley finds provoke engagement and critical thinking.

For the aid of fellow teachers, we have embedded several of these less
familiar texts in the page with Shelley's essay, as well as hyperlinked to
many of the complementary texts she alludes to.

Among them, "My First Lie & How I Got Out of It," originally published in
the "Mark Twain's Christmas Book" issue of Pulitzer's *New York World.*

So, I guess that makes this a holiday production.

Best to all.

*Matt Seybold, PhD*
Associate Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Scholar-in-Residence, Center for Mark Twain Studies
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
Host, The American Vandal Podcast
<https://marktwainstudies.com/the-american-vandal-podcast/>

Peterson Chapel Vestry, Cowles Hall