From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2019 11:31:48 +0000
Now I'm just riffing on Barb's excellent post.  But her concerns about such obscure comments as the "probably" match my memory of the Phipps book.  I found it to be filled with a great deal of useful information and many good leads, but also somewhat unwieldy in terms of overall content; often unreliable about specifics; and dubious in terms of many of the conclusions and the analysis offered.  So I would just take all that into consideration as well.

(I suppose similar remarks could be made about most of the scholarship in the world...)

The other thing I thought of, after I sent in my little response, was the excellent "spiritual life" on Harriet Beecher Stowe of a couple years back, by Nancy Koester.  In that book, she does a very good job of parsing out those sorts of denominational nuances as you describe (easily overlooked too), and how and why they were relevant to Stowe.  I thought you might like to take a look at it, as a good model for the kind of thing it sounds like you are attempting.  Maybe other folks on here know of similarly nuanced studies?  The other thing I though of is the rich new material coming out recently on hymns, especially by folks like Claudia Stokes, Chris Phillips, and others.

Again, I look forward to hearing what you learn, Sarah.

Dr. Hal Bush

Dept. of English

Saint Louis University

314-977-3616