From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:09:16 -0000
As the Executive Coordinator of the Mark Twain Circle of America, I would
like to extend to all Mark Twain Forum participants an invitation to join a
fine and worthwhile group.  I know that many Forum members are already
members of the Mark Twain Circle, but I suspect that many are not.

The Mark Twain Circle was formed at the 1986 MLA convention in New York, and
has now grown to more than 350 members, both academics and non-academics,
from all over the world.  The Circle sponsors events and activities that
promote the study of and an interest in Mark Twain, including sessions at
academic conferences like MLA and ALA, as well as special events (an evening
with Hal Holbrook last year in San Francisco, and the recent special evening
at the Palmer House in Chicago, commemorating the 1879 Grant dinner, for
example).  Perhaps the most visible benefit to members is the publication
four times a year of _The Mark Twain Circular_, edited by James S. Leonard
of The Citadel.  The _Circular_ will keep you well-informed of the latest in
the world of Mark Twain, from calls for papers at conferences and for
publication, to news about Twain and Twain sites, to bibliographical updates
of Twain publications (it's worth it to me alone for that).  The President
of the Mark Twain Circle writes a regular column; many of these have become
important to me in my teaching and understanding of Mark Twain.  I got the
most recent issue yesterday, and I must say that Shelley Fisher Fishkin's
article, "In Praise of 'Spike Lee's Huckleberry Finn by Ralph Wiley," is
something anyone interested in Mark Twain will want to read and think about.
Included in the article are scenes from the screenplay of this proposed
film, with permission granted to use the scenes in the classroom.  I'm
teaching _Huck_ again in a few weeks, and I can't wait to try this out.  The
view of Jim presented here will be controversial, and everyone who cares
about the novel will want to know about it, regardless of their opinions.

I'm sure you're lining up to join now, so here are the details: a check for
$15 ($16 for a non-U.S. address) made out to "Mark Twain Circle of America,"
sent to me at the address below.  You will be joining a great group of
people with a continuing interest in Mark Twain.  Thank you for your
indulgence!

(Note to current Circle members:  a renewal call will go out within the next
few weeks for Y2K membership.  You can beat the rush and renew now!)
John Bird
Executive Coordinator, Mark Twain Circle of America
Department of English
230 Bancroft Hall
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, SC  29733