From:
Siva Vaidhyanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:37:46 -0500

>Perhaps Cleavon Little had a hand in that second part. After all, he, not
>Richard Pryor, starred as Black Bart.
>
>Dennis Kelly

Little was cast in that part of the sheriff over the protests of both Mel
Brooks and Richard Pryor. The role was written by and for Pryor. The studio
wanted someone with a less threatening leading man image. Little wrote
nothing for the script. See Mel Watkins, _On the Real Side._ Also see
Williams and Williams, _If I stop, I'll Die._

Siva Vaidhyanathan
History Department
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT 06459