From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:12:41 -0500
Tracy Wuster had a poll on his "humor in America" site last year, to vote
for this year's recipient.  DeGeneres was not even listed as a contender
(nor were any women, by the way).  Here is how he listed the "top
contenders":

Who should win the next "Mark Twain Prize for American Humor"?
Norman Lear
Garrison Keillor
Jon Stewart
Bill Maher
Woody Allen
Hal Holbrook

I'd wait on Colbert, Stewart and Maher (and DeGeneres) till the old-timers
are recognized.  Woody Allen never honored?? (probably would refuse to
appear, though, which is I'm sure a deal breaker).  And I'd throw in some
of the legendary TV women like Carol Burnett or even Mary Tyler Moore,
whose work revolutionized our way of seeing funny women.  Deceased folks
are also unable to appear -- Vonnegut, Will Rogers, Lucy -- and I just
dislike going for the pop appeal in lieu of these older veterans.  Again,
all due respect -- but where would the likes of DeGeneres be without those
other comediennes?

-hb

--
Harold K. Bush, Ph.D