From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:25:59 -0600
The editors at MTP could best answer that question. The general view is that
Twain compiled his scrapbooks, but from his early western correspondence
it's clear that he asked his brother Orion to add things from time to time,
so the scrapbooks of that period might be considered a joint effort. As for
any later scrapbooks, I'm not sure how you could determine who did what.
Twain did employ a clipping service late in life. If you include photo
albums in the same category as scrapbooks, then those might have been a
family affair. I have Jean's Italian photo album (of photos she took
herself) with her own captions, but Twain went through the album and added
his own notes and corrections to her captions, very likely during her
lifetime. How much the scrapbooks might reflect the piddlings of others is
hard to know. Clara pulled things from the family archives (and scrapbooks?)
at an early date, and Paine removed things at a fairly early date, and
"organized" various papers (and scrapbooks?) later on. None of this should
be surprising and it's no different from what happens with the family papers
of any family, but it's challenging, sometimes irritating, to those hoping
to reconstruct the documentation of Twain's life.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive