From:
Susanna Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:48:32 -0500
Dear Colleagues -

In the course of tracking down a student plagiarism, I came across a web
site that sells papers about Mark Twain to students (I was impressed that
Twain merited his own special plagiarism site).

http://www.mark-twain-essays.com

Anyway, I noticed that several of the papers they were selling were
themselves plagiarized.  The most egregious example I noticed was a couple
of essays for sale titled "A Case Study in Critical Controversy" which
steal directly and indirectly from the critical commentary written by
Gerald Graff and James Phelan for the Bedford St Martin's Press versions of
Huckleberry Finn.

I wrote a nasty note to the site (as if they care about their quality
control....hah!), but if you have published any widely-available critical
commentary on Twain, it might be worth your while to peruse this site and
see if they are selling your material for other people to pass off as their
own.

Sadly,

Susanna Ashton

Susanna Ashton
Assistant Professor of American Literature
Department of English, 709 Strode Tower
Clemson University,
Clemson, SC   29634-0523
Work Phone: (864) 656-1551