From:
"S.PAIN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1993 11:21:00 GMT
As I am new to this list, I would first of all like to say a big hello
to everyone. I am currently working the critical apparatus for the new
Everyman edition of Mark Twain's Adventures of Huck Finn. This involves
writing a short biography, chronology of his life and times, critical
reception narrative, and suggestions for further reading -- oh and also
notes. Most of this work is fairly straight forward, but the critical
reception narrative and the suggestions are I have found in the past
problematic. I do not want you to do my work for me, but I would like to
know what books you feel would be helpful for a general reader approaching
Twain for the first time, and something for undergrads. By the way I loved
Huck Finn, especially the description of the river. The first Twain book
I ever read was Innocents Abroad! Coming to Huck Finn later in life means
that I missed reading it as a boy which for some is one of their more
pleasurable childhood memories. I however enjoyed the humour -which I am
sure I wouldn't have appreciated as a child. It is sadly the case with
Alice in Wonderland - I read the annotated version! The only book which I
did read as a youngster was Charles Dickens Oliver Twist - what a deprived
childhood. With my past in mind, I'm all for encouraging people to read the
classics. I spotted a typo, one of millions, I am currently working >>on<<

Yours,

Stephen Pain.