Shelley Fisher Fishkin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 2019 00:25:00 +0000
Many thanks, Mark!  You are completely right, and I encourage everyone on this list to spread the word to friends and colleagues around the world who might be eligible for the prize and who should be encouraged to submit their work for it. The scope of the prize is broad - it is for outstanding work in Transnational American Studies — and any faculty member at a university  outside the US or independent scholar based outside the US is eligible.  Given Mark Twain’s global reach and the fine work being done on him by a number of scholars around the globe, I can imagine seeing scholarship on the cultural work Twain does in a range of global contexts, for example, being recognized with this prize.  (Too bad it didn’t exist when  Tsuyoshi Ishihara published Mark Twain in Japan (2011) or when Selina Lai-Henderson published Mark Twain in China (2014). I suspect both of those books would have been strong contenders for the prize. But only scholarship published  not more than three years prior to the submission deadline is eligible.  For the full description of eligibility rules and submission instructions see the ASA’s announcement at this link: https://www.theasa.net/about/news-events/announcements/shelley-fisher-fishkin-prize-international-scholarship-transnational
Thank you, Mark, for the reminder to encourage folks to share this information with colleagues abroad—anyone who works on transnational Twain, but also anyone who works on transnational approaches to American culture more broadly, as well.
Shelley