From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:29:33 -0800
This question of conspiracies and Mormons in regards to Twain prompted
some additional reading for me.  I doubt that the Mormons were of much
significance to Twain as I suspect his Mormon Bible chapter was little
more than  fill - as he was known to do throughout his career.  The
Mormons were nothing more than another characteristic of Washoe for him.

It appears he was aware of the so-called Mormon question before arriving
there and that his primary awareness of them was their practice of
polygamy.  He knew of the Mountain Meadows Massacre but it wasn't until
several years later that he accepted the idea that the Mormons were
responsible.  I'm sure he thought the Indians had done it.  It's likely
that Mrs. Waite’s book, “The Mormon Prophet,” convinced him otherwise.

"I left Great Salt Lake a good deal confused as to what state of things
existed there—and sometimes even questioning in my own mind whether a
state of things existed there at all or not. But presently I remembered
with a lightening sense of relief that we had learned two or three
trivial things there which we could be certain of; and so the two days
were not wholly lost. For instance, we had learned that we were at last
in a pioneer land, in absolute and tangible reality."