From:
"Robert H. HIRST" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:07:51 -0700
Barb and Scott, here's a transcription of both letters. Little wonky
because I had to convert from WordPerfect to Word. But the substance is
accurate and I think clear.

*To Olivia L. Clemens*

*7 February 1885  **$**  en route from Lafayette*

*to Indianapolis, Ind.*

                   (MS: CU-MARK, *UCCL *03156in,

                                                          On the train,
Feb. 7, 1885

Although I slept an hour or two on the train yesterday morning, & 3 hours
in the afternoon, I still wasn=t much refreshed, on account of having
gotten up so early; so nothing but my black coffee at 7 pm enabled me to
put the evening through creditably. *It* makes me cheerful, & easy, &
confidential & conversational with the audience; & that is all that is
necessary to success. But it cannot protect me against those curious &
disastrous lapses of memory which come of over-fatigue. I had some of
these, last night, but did not mind themCeasily covered them up. But not
so, the night before. I got lost in the last third of AA Trying Situation@C
couldn=t find my place again, & so concluded with a speech explaining the
dilemma, & the speech was a rattling, not to say an electrical, success.

At 11 last night I had been without food (barring my cup of black coffee,)
for 24 hoursC consequently my health & stomach were in perfect condition
again. Maurice Thompson the poet (ASongs of Fair Weather@ & the ANightingale
@) came in at 10.30, & of course I was exceedingly glad to see him; but he
stayed staid till midnight, & I didn=t like that very well, since we were
to rise at 7 this morning.

Mamma, I wrote to Susie the other day to ask if the Toronto people had
returned Patrick a bearskin cape. Haven=t received an answer, yet.
Therefore, you better write me now, to Toronto, (Rossin House,) or
telegraph me the night of the 11th to Russell House, Detroit, concerning
the matter.

Just two was weeks more, & I shall see you at home at half past 3 on a
Sunday morning Feb. 22! Good-bye sweetheart, I do love you.

SSaml

*É*

* To Olivia L. Clemens*

*8 February 1885  **$**  Indianapolis, Ind.*

(MS: CU-MARK, *UCCL *03158)

                                                Indianapolis, Feb. 8'85.

*No*, Livy darling, don=t pay for the Artistic Homes, but just drop D.
Appleton & Co a line, saying:

AYour bill for Artistic Homes is received, & will receive Mr. Clemens=s
attention when he returns, March 1st.@

If they are not satisfied with that, answer no letters of theirs, & pay no
attention to them in any way.

                                                         ════

I have learned my trade at last. I know how to read my stuff. At last I can
stand on a platform & do the thing right. I did make =em shout last night.
The blue-jays & the other stuff went booming; & I told about Tom Quartz
(Baker=s Cat) for an encore. It is Cable=s fault that I have done inferior
reading all this time. He has hogged so much of the platform-time that I
have always felt obliged to hurry along at lightning speed in order to keep
the performance within bounds; but now I take my own time, & give 25
minutes to pieces which formerly occupied but 15.

If this show were new, I would cut a third of him out of the program. But
it isn=t worth while, now.

I am paying Cable $450 a week & expenses. He isn=t worth a penny over $200.
He is not a novelty anywhere. He has apparently been in every town in the
country just about twice; & that is as long often as he is wanted.
Especially as he offers his same old stuff all the timeCdoesn=t prepare
himself with untried matter. He is expecting to continue on the program ne
platform next winter. He will find a sickly way of making a living. When I
am advertised for a new program, it is *all* newC& his is all oldCstuff
which he has exploited in that tow town once or twice before.

                                                         ════

Last night I wished I was in front of an English audienceCit would have
been good to see.

                                                         ════

Goodbye, my darling, kiss those rascals for meCfor I love you all.

SSaml